You must try my famous recipe for the best butter tarts ever!
My family loves butter tarts and this recipe has been in my family for ages. Butter tarts are a Canadian thing and if you haven’t tried one before you will soon be hooked!
You will roll out half a pastry recipe thinly and cut into 4″ rounds.
Once you assemble all the filling ingredients together, I find it best to pour it in with a bowl with a spout on it.
You can also use a small measuring cup to scoop the filling into the pastry cups.
They have always been a delicious holiday treat.
The recipe calls for currants (which are smaller, sweeter raisins) but you can also use raisins.
I sometimes add whole pecans to them too!
Note: I’ve always made my butter tarts with Crisco shortening because it’s the recipe I’ve had for years. And since I already make my pastry using Crisco I’ve just continued to use it in my butter tarts. Please feel free to substitute it for butter!
Best Butter Tart Recipe Ever
- 1/2 pie pastry recipe
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup Crisco shortening (or butter)
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup currants or raisins
- Preheat oven to 425 deg F.
- Roll out pastry thinly and cut into 4" rounds.
- Fit into 12 count muffin tin (no need to grease).
- Combine all filling ingredients and mix well.
- Fill 1/2 of each pastry cups with filling.
- Bake on bottom shelf for 12-15 min or just until set.
- Don’t overbake and underbaking will make them runny.
- Cool in tin then remove to wire cooling rack.
I hope you enjoy these as much as our family does!
Make sure to pin it for later!