This Christmas why not try making your own DIY burlap and drop cloth gift bag!
I love natural and rustic textures like burlap, linen and drop cloths. I made this burlap gift bag because I couldn’t find any on the market at the time. Plus a personalized gift is the best!
I’m also participating in a blog hop tour for Christmas gift wrapping ideas so be sure to visit them at the bottom of this post.
I’ll show you how easy it is to sew your own burlap and drop cloth gift bag in any size you want along with a cute pocket on the front!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase something from an affiliate link, I may get a small commission. No extra cost to you! Click here to read my disclosure policy.
- burlap (washed and dried at least once for softness)
- drop cloth
- sewing machine
- alphabet stamp
- black stamp pad (my favorite one!)
- safety pin
1. Cut your burlap 20 x 10 inches long (once you know how to make it, you can make any size you want!)
2. Fold burlap piece in half and iron in place.
3. Fold both end pieces over about 3 inches and iron into place.
4. Cut a rectangle from drop cloth for the pocket. *I didn’t stamp it at this point but you probably should in case you make a mistake stamping!
5. Pull some of the threads from the drop cloth to achieve a frayed edge.
6. Pin the pocket down and sew only three sides (leaving the top edge for the pocket). Make sure to pin it on the side without the flaps.
7. Turn the burlap over and sew two seams only the bottom of the flap on each side.
8. With the pocket facing in, sew the side seams together. Turn right side out.
9. Between the two seams that you sewed in step 7, make two small cuts to thread twine through.
10. Pin the twine and push the pin through one of the holes on one side and again at the next hole on the other side.
11. One twine piece should loop around the whole bag with extra to tie in a bow. Do the same for the other side. You should end up with two pieces of twine running through that seam pocket you created.
12. With your stamp pad, stamp whatever personalized message you’d like. (Read step 4!)
13. Fill your bag with goodies and use the pocket for a card, gift card or embellishments.
I think it’s the sweetest little bag and someone will love that you made it from scratch.
You could easily make it a hostess gift this holiday season as well.
I love this little burlap and drop cloth gift bag!
Did you know that you are the bestest?!
Now be sure to check out what my other Canadian friends did for Christmas gift wrapping ideas below.
Make sure to pin it for later!
Click in Case You Missed:
From left to right, they are:
Personalized Santa Sacks by Fynes Designs
Vintage Christmas Gift Tags by Satori Design for Living
5 Fabulous & Fast Gift Wrap Ideas from The Happy Housie
Craft Paper & Boxwood Wreath Gift Wrap by Craftberry Bush
Copper & Green Gift Wrapping Inspiration from Echoes of Laughter
DIY Burlap & Drop Cloth Gift Bag by So Much Better With Age (I switched my project for what you see in the graphic!)
Black & Red Gift Wrap Plus Bow Tutorial by A Pretty Life in the Suburbs
Wine Bottle Wrap- Christmas Edition by Northstory
DIY Christmas Bag Tutorial by Suburble
Vintage Map Christmas Gift Wrap & Gift Tags by The DIY Mommy