Today I’m sharing a the best scones ever recipe – the scones from the Fairmont Empress Hotel in Victoria.
Trust me when I say they are the most delicious scones you’ve ever tasted!
You can make these scones with or without raisins so I made half without raisins.
These scones are best with clotted cream and strawberry jam.
These are my favorite brands: Bonne Maman strawberry jam and Double Devon Cream.
This is the recipe from the Empress Hotel that I adapted to make less than the 35 scones it calls for in this recipe.
I made a few batches to get it perfectly as this recipe was for such a large amount.
- 2¼ cups flour (plus more for dusting)
- ⅓ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup raisins
- ¾ cup whipping or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400 deg F
- Put flour in a large mixing bowl and crumb the butter into the flour with your fingers until it resembles small peas.
- Add sugar, baking powder, 2 slightly beaten eggs, and salt and mix together with a fork until just combined.
- Add raisins.
- Pour the cream in and knead in to the dough.
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough out on floured surface until 1 inch thick. Using a large circular cookie cutter dusted with flour, cut out the scones and place on ungreased baking sheet. (Note: you could use parchment paper but do not use a silpat - it makes the biscuits flat).
- Leave the scones to rest for 5-10 min.
- Beat one egg and brush just the top of the scones.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until just golden brown.
I hope you enjoy these scones for a high tea or just any day of the week!