Give your Valentine an adorable clay heart dish for Valentine’s Day this year and they’ll be able to keep it forever.
Making some memorable items with clay is fun. Making them into something practical is even better! I love these clay heart dishes for keeping rings in or change. Add some Valentine’s candy to them and wrap them with a pretty bow for your Valentine sweetheart this year.
Today I’m joining a Very Vintage Valentine tour hosted by my friend Summer of Summer Adams. Be sure to visit the other vintage Valentines at the bottom of this post.
This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. Click to read my full disclosure policy.
Here is what you’ll need to make these adorable clay heart dishes.
- oven bake clay (I used this brand)
- parchment paper or work and bake clay mat
- rolling pin
- tool for cutting out shapes (like the edge of a knife or x-acto blade, clay tool or cookie cutters)
- small ramekins
- acrylic paint
- satin glaze
- craft brushes
1. Heat the oven according to the directions (I set my oven to 275 deg F). Knead the clay in your hands to warm up. I put the clay on a warm part on top of the stove to get it started. Make sure it is free from plastic.
2. Roll out the clay on parchment paper or a work and bake clay mat.
3. Freehand a heart shape into the clay with a tool. When you have the shape you want, put the tool all the way through to cut out the shape.
3. Smooth out the edges by rubbing them with your fingers.
4. Place the heart in a small ovenproof bowl like a ramekin or a bowl with an angled edge.
Tip: you can also use a cookie cutter to cut out your heart!
5. Use stamps for adding an intricate design to your clay heart. You can also use lace or doilies like in these clay hearts I made years ago.
6. Cut out some mini hearts to add some to your heart dish and to use the rest of the clay.
7. Bake in oven for 30 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
8. With a glaze mixture of one part pink acrylic craft paint and one part water, brush over the mini hearts and allow to dry.
9. Rub paint into the hearts with intricate details like the ones below. Brush on a gold paint and wipe off with paper towel. Allow to dry completely.
10. Brush satin glaze over top of all the clay hearts to give it a finished pottery look. Allow to dry.
I love how these adorable heart dishes turned out! I hope this has inspired you to make your own clay heart dishes for Valentine’s Day.
Now be sure to visit my friends below for their Vintage Valentine projects.
Make sure to pin it for later!