This rustic apple strudel recipe is so tasty and very easy to make. It doesn’t need to look perfect because it’s too delicious!
Everyone loves my apple pie recipe but this rustic apple strudel is a close second. It’s easy to make but looks fancy, in a rustic way. The pastry dough is more like a biscuit recipe than true pie pastry recipe so the taste is very rich and delicious.
I’m excited to be taking part in Tastes of the Season Holiday Recipe Series hosted by my friend Kirstin of Ella Claire Inspired. Today is all about delicious apple recipes and be sure to see all the wonderful apple recipes at the end of this post.
I can’t wait for you to try it! Be sure to download the recipe below.
Rustic Apple Strudel
For the pastry:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cold cut into chunks
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
For the filling:
- 2 apples
- 2-3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup icing (powdered) sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 tbsp milk
Make the pastry:
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, baking powder and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender.
- Add milk and stir until just combined and form into a ball with your hands.
- Flatten and shape into a rectangle onto a floured surface and roll out into a rectangle. Cut the excess dough off with a knife to make into a rectangle.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of butter over dough.
- Cut slits into dough on either side leaving space in the middle for the filling.
Make the filling:
- Peel, core and slice apples and coat with sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour into centre of the dough.
- Criss cross cut slits over the apple mixture.
- Using 2 flippers, transfer strudel onto parchment and bake for 20-25 min until golden brown.
Make the glaze:
- Mix icing sugar, vanilla and milk together.
- Pour over strudel once cool.
Be sure to visit the rest of the apple recipes from my talented friends below.
Make sure to pin it for later!
click in case you missed:
Slab Apple Pie + Caramel Sauce by Ella Claire | Applesauce Sheet Cake + Cream Cheese Frosting by Love Grows Wild | Apple Spice Streusel Cake by Inspired by Charm | Baked Apple Slices by Julie Blanner | Cinnamon Maple Sourdough Apple Pie by Farmhouse on Boone
Brioche Apple Bread Pudding by Boxwood Avenue | Apple Cider Pound Cake by Anderson + Grant | Apple Muffins by A Burst of Beautiful | Banana Apple Cake Bread by Sweet C’s | Rustic Apple Strudel by So Much Better with Age
New England Apple Crisp by Nina Hendrick | Maple Apple Oatmeal by Finding Home Farms | Chocolate Apple Mini Cakes by Zevy Joy | Artisan Apple Bread by Nesting with Grace | Low Carb Apple Sandwich Snacks by My Sweet Savannah