I have made this family recipe of cream pie more times than I can count. I actually never cared for a cream pie or things with pudding in it. This recipe does not have pudding in it and it’s the most delicious thing you will ever taste!
It’s not too sweet and originally I slice bananas on the bottom to make it a banana cream pie but I switched things up and added a chocolate ganache bottom to it and I’m in love.
You must try my family recipe of vanilla cream pie with chocolate ganache bottom.
I cover the whole top with whipping cream. I use this whipping cream dispenser for light and fluffy whip cream that’s not sweet. I just add 1 tsp of vanilla to the dispenser and shake. It’s the easiest thing to use. I’ve had this one dispenser for about 20 years now and can’t live without it.
You can use my easiest pie pastry recipe. You will only need half the recipe or you can make two pies.
My recipe makes a top and bottom crust so you only need one for this pie.
The eggs I used were really orange this time so it makes the pie very yellow.
A few tips you’ll want to keep in mind:
- add 1 cup milk to start before the heat is even turned on to blend the flour/sugar mixture into the milk, it will prevent the filling from getting lumpy
- you’ll need to stand at the stove and stir the whole time so the filling doesn’t get lumpy
- use a silicone coated whisk to prevent lumps
- prick the bottom of crust with a form to prevent bubbly
I add parchment paper and pie weights (or you can use dry beans) to the bottom of the unbaked pie crust and then put in the oven to prevent bubblingIt’s so delicious and smooth and not too sweet.
The perfect pie for a date night.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 cups milk (preferably whole milk)
- 3 egg yolks, no whites, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 pie pastry recipe
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Heat cream and butter in small saucepan over medium until mixture is hot (do not boil)
Remove from heat
Add chocolate and vanilla
Whisk until smooth
Pour over crust
Chill crust until chocolate ganache is firm, about 30 minutes
Combine flour and sugar in medium saucepan
Add 1 cup milk and whisk together
On medium heat, add 2 cups of milk to saucepan and stir constantly with a whisk until thickens
Add a couple of tablespoons of the milk mixture to the egg yolks and stir
Add those egg yolks to milk mixture
Stir until smooth. Cook for 2 minutes
Remove from heat. Add vanilla and butter.
Pour over cooled ganache in pie crust.
Whip whipping cream and vanilla together with beaters or in a whip cream dispenser and add to top of pie.