Enjoy making and eating my recipe for vanilla cream pie with a chocolate ganache bottom.
I have made this family recipe of vanilla cream pie with chocolate ganache more times than I can count. I’ve often made it into a banana cream by by slicing fresh bananas on the bottom but this chocolate ganache bottom is the best!
You must try my family recipe of vanilla cream pie with chocolate ganache bottom.
Be sure to use my easiest pie pastry recipe. You will only need half the recipe or you can make two pies.
This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. Click to read my full disclosure policy.
I cover the whole top with whipping cream. I use this whipped cream dispenser for light and fluffy whip cream that’s not sweet. I just add 1 tsp of vanilla to the dispenser and shake. It’s the easiest thing to use. I’ve had this one dispenser for about 20 years now and can’t live without it.
The eggs I used were really orange this time so it makes the pie very yellow.
- add 1 cup milk to start before the heat is even turned on to blend the flour/sugar mixture into the milk, it will prevent the filling from getting lumpy
- you’ll need to stand at the stove and stir the whole time so the filling doesn’t get lumpy
- use a silicone coated whisk to prevent lumps
- prick the bottom of crust with a form to prevent bubbly
- add parchment paper and pie weights (or you can use dry beans) on the bottom of the unbaked pie crust and bake. The weights prevent the pastry from shrinking
It’s so delicious and smooth and not too sweet. The perfect pie for a date night.
Vanilla Cream Pie with Chocolate Ganache Bottom
1 9 inch baked pie shell
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 cups milk (preferably whole milk)
- 3 egg yolks, no whites, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Heat cream and butter in small saucepan over medium until mixture is hot (do not boil)
- Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate and vanilla.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Pour over baked pie shell.
- Chill crust until chocolate ganache is firm, about 30 minutes.
- Combine flour and sugar in medium saucepan.
- Add 1 cup milk and whisk together.
- On medium heat, add 2 cups of milk to saucepan and stir constantly with a whisk until thickens.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of the milk mixture to the egg yolks and stir.
- Add those egg yolks to milk mixture.
- Stir until smooth. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add vanilla and butter.
- Pour over cooled ganache in pie shell.
- Whip whipping cream and vanilla together with beaters or in a whip cream dispenser and add to top of pie.
Make sure to pin it for later!